Strathmore Hotel, Detroit, Michigan

Originally built in 1924, the Strathmore Hotel is located at 70 West Alexandrine, which is in the Willis-Selden Historic District that has one of the largest concentrations of architecturally significant, late 19th and early 20th century buildings of mixed uses in Detroit, according to Daily Detroit.

The hotel sat vacant for over a decade, but thanks a public-private partnerships including a mixture of funding sources including: private development, MSHDA Low Income Housing Tax Credits and Historic Tax Credits, the $27.9 million redevelopment opened in 2016. Of its 129 units, 40 percent are offered for affordable housing rates while the other 60 percent are market-rate. There is also 2,000 feet of commercial retail space.

Activities & Results

Strathmore HotelPM Environmental, Inc. provided the environmental site assessment work on the 142,000-square-foot structure and surrounding property. As part of the Phase II ESA, soil borings, soil gas monitoring and ground penetrating radar (GPR) was also conducted. 

To comply with MSHDA’s requirements, PM investigated asbestos and lead-based paint issues, noise and vapor encroachment, floodplain status, and all other requirements for eligibility status.  PM oversaw the subsequent asbestos abatement activities as well as the post abatement inspections to affirm that the results were in accordance with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and State of Michigan requirements.

The Strathmore Apartments was the recipient of the 2017 Governor’s Awards for Historic Preservation. Worthy recipients are those who strive to preserve Michigan’s important historic and cultural resources.

Related Projects

The Dream of Korea Town

You’ve probably heard of Greektown and Mexican Town, Detroit, but have you heard of Korea Town, Southfield? You probably haven’t, and with good reason. It doesn’t exist yet. It is currently a plan in the mind of Mr. Yong Yi of SLT Holdings, LLC. This plan is being realized quickly, however. “Phase 2” of Korea…

The Foundations of New Seoul Market

Located north of the I-696 corridor, west of Telegraph Road in Southfield, Michigan stands a charming Korean plaza. New Seoul Plaza is home to DAEBAK Korean Barbeque and Myomee Coffee & Dessert Café. The success of these restaurants has created over 75 new local jobs as well as a steady demand for a high-end grocery…

Emergency Response & Remediation, Fort Payne, Alabama

Immediate action was required when petroleum released into a stream in Fort Payne, Alabama this past spring. PM Environmental discovered the active, on-going petroleum release while stopping by the facility on the way to another project site. Due to the quick thinking and situational awareness of PM staff, the release was responded to within minutes…